Vegan GMO is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
This code of conduct applies to all Vegan GMO spaces, including Facebooks groups, pages, the website and events. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or banned from these spaces at the discretion of the Vegan GMO response team*.
Some Vegan GMO spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
Harassment includes, but not limited to:
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “*hug*” or “*backrub*”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats or depictions of violence towards human and nonhuman animals, or any messaging that encourages harm to them.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion, including but not limited to “trolling,” spamming, repeating arguments while failing to engage with counter-arguments, gish gallops, derailment, or any other rhetorical tactics showing a clear disregard for intellectual honesty.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
Vegan GMO prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. The Response Team will not act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
If you are being harassed by a member of the Vegan GMO community, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the Response Team at response at vegangmo.com. If the person who is harassing you is on the team, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can.
This code of conduct applies to Vegan GMO spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of Vegan GMO outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by Vegan GMO community members, especially Vegan GMO volunteers and staff, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The abuse team reserves the right to exclude people from Vegan GMO spaces based on their past behavior, including behavior outside Vegan GMO spaces and behavior towards people who are not in Vegan GMO.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of Vegan GMO members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the Vegan GMO response team may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Vegan GMO spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other Vegan GMO community members or the general public.